Existing Railroad Stations in New York State
In the early 1990s, I had been compiling a database of existing railroad stations in New York. After gathering about 200 stations, I decided to construct a web site. While researching these stations has been personally rewarding, I feel that sharing this information on the Internet helps others who are interested in the history and preservation of classic railroad stations.
This site has been in place since 1996 and was the first of its type, cataloging railroad stations by state, on the Internet. Subsequent states followed such as, for PA, NH, and OH.
If you have photos, send them in: email me. A small credit line at the bottom is helpful, although I can add it. The photos of the old site were small to save space back in 1996. Now I'm standardizing on something around 1600 pixels wide.
See the FAQ for what the column headings mean.
- November 17, 2022 - Changed the PRR East Aurora (Erie) station to a Business. The restaurant has closed and a business is moving in.
- October 14, 2022 - Corrected location of the DL&W Cohocton station, Steuben County. Also updated the photo.
- October 9, 2022 - Finished Nassau County with updated photos and data. Thanks to Fred Heggi for his help with most of them.
- October 9, 2022 - Finished Suffolk County with updated photos and data. Thanks to Fred Heggi for his help with most of them and the Collins family for help in the hills.
- September 24, 2022 - Finished Orange County with updated photos and data. Thanks to Fred Heggi for his help with some of them.
- September 24, 2022 - Finished Sullivan County with updated photos and data. Thanks to Fred Heggi for his help with some of them.
- September 10, 2022 - Finished St Lawrence County with updated photos and data for the New York Central's Jayville, Kalurah, and Potsdam depots.
- September 10, 2022 - Finished Franklin County with updated photos and data for the New York Central's Malone Junction, Onchiota, and Santa Clara depots. Plus the Rutland's Brushton & Malone depots. The Rutland's freight house in Malone on Railroad St has been torn down.
- August 21, 2022 - Finished Washington County with updated photos and data.
- August 21, 2022 - Finished Rensselaer County with updated photos and data.
- August 21, 2022 - Updated Saratoga County with photos of the D&H station in South Corinth and the New York Central station in Mechanicville. Removed the D&H station Elnora. It was torn down.
- August 21, 2022 - Finished Warren County with a photo of the D&H station and freight house in North Creek.
- August 1, 2022 - Finished Cattaraugus County with a photo of the WNYPT station in Olean. Provided a current and period photo composite.
- Please send updated photos in. See email below. Please try to send full-sized photos from your cell or other digital camera. A tip - if you are looking at a county, click the photo. You'll see a large version along with a history of the photos for that station below the photo. Most right now are going to have one photo. But if you look at a county I've updated, like Orleans, you'll see the current photo and an older photo. That gives you a chance to see how the station has changed. Also, if you click the main photo and it's been updated, you can see a larger version of it.
- I'll be changing the Street column over to latitude & longitude. As I work through the counties updating photos, I've noticed not only the ones with missing streets but towns that have changed street names, especially those short or dead-end streets typically found around railroad stations. So "Railroad Street" where the railroad no longer runs becomes "Veterans Way", for example. Instead of dealing with all of that, I'll just convert it to Lat/Long.
- November 2019 Re-Launch - I've converted this site to a Wiki format to make it easier to maintain. I went through over 200 emails that I received since I last updated the (old) site, and you may notice fewer stations on each county page. The majority of these removals were due to fires or tear-downs. I've also updated some photos and other facts that were sent to me. I still have emails I'm going through, so stay tuned for more updates.
- If you have photos, send them in: email me. A small credit line at the bottom is helpful, although I can add it. The photos of the old site were small to save space back in 1996. Now I'm standardizing on something around 1600 pixels wide.
- New York
- St Lawrence
Links to other NY station sites and a few in the rest of the U.S.
Please check here and help locate missing stations.
Frequently Asked Questions.