Difference between revisions of "Existing Railroad Stations in New York State"
|(91 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
|Line 69:||Line 93:|
Revision as of 16:30, 20 February 2021
In the early 1990s, I had been compiling a database of existing railroad stations in New York. After gathering about 200 stations, I decided to construct a web site. While researching these stations has been personally rewarding, I feel that sharing this information on the Internet helps others who are interested in the history and preservation of classic railroad stations.
This site has been in place since 1996 and was the first of its type, cataloging railroad stations by state, on the Internet. Subsequent states followed such as, for PA, NH, and OH.
If you have photos, send them in: email me. A small credit line at the bottom is helpful, although I can add it. The photos of the old site were small to save space back in 1996. Now I'm standardizing on something around 1600 pixels wide.
- February 20, 2021 - Added the NYC Exchange St Buffalo freight house to Erie County. I need a photo of it.
- February 12, 2021 - Added the RL&B Gasport station to Niagara County and removed from the Verify list. Thanks to the Town of Royalton Historian.
- February 12, 2021 - Added the RL&B Middleport station to Niagara County. Thanks to the Town of Royalton Historian.
- February 10, 2021 - Updated the Erie freight station in Jamestown (Chautauqua) with the correct location and a photo. Thanks to Dave Becker.
- February 10, 2021 - Removed the NYO&W station at Parker, Chenango County. It had been torn down a couple of years ago and had been vacant and rough shape for a couple of decades.
- January 26, 2021 - Added the D&H station at Nineveh, Broome County, which had been on the Verify List for a while. The info comes from the Town of Colesville Historian, "a gentleman purchased it and took it apart. Rebuilt it and turned it into a home. It sits in Harpursville on Rt. 79. The house number is 3310."
- January 3, 2021 - Removed the B&A station from Canaan from the Verify page. It was disassembled but never reassembled any place. And it is believed the stones sold off.
- December 20, 2020 - Removed the BR&P brick freight house in Warsaw (Wyoming) It was demolished 12/20/2020.
- November 30, 2020 - Finished updating Steuben County with the addition of the Hornell photo.
- November 14, 2020 - Finished updating Erie County with new photos and updated data. The Erie/NKP station on Babcock St is gone in Buffalo (had become a yard office). Added the Buffalo & Lake Erie traction station in Angola.
- November 10, 2020 - Added the Lehigh Valley's Swartwood depot Chemung County. Found by Ewa M. Wdzieczak-Smering and verified by the owner. This is a former Elmira, Cortland, & Northern depot.
- Please send updated photos in. See email below. A tip - if you are looking at a county, click the photo. You'll see a large version along with a history of the photos for that station below the photo. Most right now are going to have one photo. But if you look at a county I've updated, like Orleans, you'll see the current photo and an older photo. That gives you a chance to see how the station has changed. Also, if you click the main photo and it's been updated, you can see a larger version of it.
- I'll be changing the Street column over to latitude & longitude. As I work through the counties updating photos, I've noticed not only the ones with missing streets but towns that have changed street names, especially those short or dead-end streets typically found around railroad stations. So "Railroad Street" where the railroad no longer runs becomes "Veterans Way", for example. Instead of dealing with all of that, I'll just convert it to Lat/Long.
- November 2019 Re-Launch - I've converted this site to a Wiki format to make it easier to maintain. I went through over 200 emails that I received since I last updated the (old) site, and you may notice fewer stations on each county page. The majority of these removals were due to fires or tear-downs. I've also updated some photos and other facts that were sent to me. I still have emails I'm going through, so stay tuned for more updates.
- If you have photos, send them in: email me. A small credit line at the bottom is helpful, although I can add it. The photos of the old site were small to save space back in 1996. Now I'm standardizing on something around 1600 pixels wide.
- New York
- St Lawrence
Links to other NY station sites and a few in the rest of the U.S.
Please check here and help locate missing stations.
Frequently Asked Questions.